Title: The Long War
Author: Daryl Gregory
Series: Planet of the Apes #1-4
Rating: 4 Stars
112 pages – Published October 18th 2011 by Boom! Studios
Summary: When an ape is assassinated by a human, the unstable truce between the two factions shatters.
What I liked:
- Even though I have never seen any movie or read any comic in the Planet of the Apes franchise, I had no trouble getting into this book. Everything is exposed clearly and without resorting to massive chunks of text to explain back story
- The art style is grittier and darker than I’m usually attracted to, but it works great with the subject matter
- There are so many themes underlying the conflicts in this book. It’s interesting how a war between apes and humans forces you to think about humanity
- I’m starting to think this is just a Boom! Studios staple, but, female characters that are integral to the plot! There is nothing I hate more than the obligatory eye-candy damsel in distress female, in a story that is 99% male. In this comic there are good males, good females, bad males, and bad females. That’s what I like to see
- Also, a pregnant female main character who’s still kicking ass. Awesome
What I didn’t like:
- The story is so short! I wish this was told in six-issue arcs rather than a four-issue one. It’s over so quickly
- Some evil characters look too much like evil characters. They just ooze evilness
- I think some of the technology is rather implausible
Verdict: This Planet of the Apes comic is a great place to start if you’re unfamiliar to the franchise. It has the added benefit of being way less sexist than most comics, though the downside is that it’s rather short.
The classic action and drama of Apes is back in this brand new graphic novel series.
Get your hands on these damn dirty Apes! Beginning an all new series that takes place before the original 1968 Planet of the Apes movie in the continuity of the first five films. Ape society has reached a new golden age. But there are ripples of dissent in both the ape and human ranks. Tensions will rise and soon all will be caught in chaos! And amidst all this uncertainty, what is the fate of…The Lawgiver? Written by award-winning novelist Daryl Gregory.